EMPOWER SUPPORT EDUCATE
We are excited to be partnering with a local group of women who are creating amazing, long-term, sustainable changes in the lives of individuals and their communities on Australian and international soil.
These women, who have been friends for over 25 years, dedicate their time and skills on weekends and evenings to raise funds for their not-for-profit organisation POD.
POD believes in empowering people through support and education. Community-led initiatives have longer-lasting benefits because you’re not relying on one person, or one group of people to implement and maintain change, it becomes a community effort and shared mission.
The effects of poverty, coupled with a lack of skills and education is a big problem. POD is helping communities discover new approaches to old problems such as clean water initiatives closer to homes (water wells and toilets). They have partnered up with a local man on the ground in Cambodia to liase with families to prioritise the distribution of funds and support based on needs.
This is what POD does so well
Tackling massive, complex issues like poverty takes time. But it’s surprising how quickly POD has created significant improvements in the lives of homeless women and men in Australia, and rural communities in Cambodia.
- Clean water with wells
- Toilets built/repaired
- Education sponsorships for children from disadvantaged families to learn english. English is seen as a powerful means for future employment as textiles and tourism is the two major industries in Cambodia.
- Rice runs in Kulen Mountain, the families who live in this area are disabled as a result of landmines, blind, elderly with no opportunity to earn money for food and basic needs.
- Wrapped with love, blankets to those in need worldwide.
- Currently building their second house in rural Siem Reap. The cost of house on stilts is approximately $2500 AUD with training of local villages to assist in the build.
- 100 toothbrushes and toothpaste to a local school “Smiles of Angkor’s School”
- Ongoing support to Smiles of Angkor English School providing school resources ie books, stationery, laptops etc
- COLA (Covered Outdoor Learning Area) built at Smiles of Angkor School
- School desks purchased from the local village builder
- Books for english school library
- Beanies and clothing to keep families warm throughout the winter.
- All terrain wheelchair for a young disabled boy to accommodate village without roads.
- Medical care, transportation & accommodation for sick children.
- Handmade Dignity (toiletry) bags for the homeless containing soap, mouth hygiene, sanitary items, shampoo and conditioner.